The Library collects, preserves, and provides access to part of the documents Bocconi University has produced since its
establishment in 1902 and to the other historical archives by different authors (individuals and organizations) that have
arrived at Bocconi for different reasons over the years.
In April 2014, all the historical archives were placed in the new conservation room that has been established for this reason in the Library building, following the guidelines and requirements provided by the government authority for archives at a local level (Soprintendenza archivistica per la Lombardia). All the fonds already held at the ex Istituto di Storia Economica (ISE) have been transferred to the Library.
The materials held at the Library include different types of document (letters, registers, photographs, typescripts). The total holdings are 600 linear meters and the oldest documents date back to the 15th century.
The documents in the Bocconi Archive bears witness to the history of the University with reference to the life and economic activity of the city of Milan from the end of the 1800s to the 20th century. In addition to these documents, the Library preserves business archives (Brustio-La Rinascente), personal papers (Ugo Pisa, Giuseppe Luraghi, Franco Briatico, Lucio Sicca) and association collections (Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana) connected to the historical, economic and business studies promoted by the University.
Particularly important is the Saminiati-Pazzi archive that, with more than 2000 registers and hundreds of thousands of commercial letters, bears witness to the activity of businessmen and landowners in Tuscany between the 15th and 19th centuries. From the same Tuscan area come the documents of the Fattoria Artimino collection, which bear witness to about one hundred years of economic administration of the Medicean Villa and of the surrounding lands beginning in 1782.
An archival inventory or location list is available for all fonds.